Assistant General Counsel
February 18, 2021
March 17, 2021
- Assist the legal department in providing legal counsel and advice to AgCountry CFG personnel, with primary responsibility for effectively managing legal risk for AgCountry CFG.
- Provide focused and specialized legal support to commercial finance, agribusiness, and capital markets lending functions. Develop and oversee AgCountry loan, collateral (real and personal property) and related legal documentation.
- Provide prompt, accurate loan documentation reviews prior to final commitment on new client relationships as well as post-closing document review and subsequent amendments, waivers and other servicing actions including forbearance situations and bankruptcy.
- Provide ongoing legal training and support to AgCountry personnel on loan documentation issues and related legal issues.
- Provide advice and recommendations to AgCountry Executive Leadership Team as to the best strategy for managing legal and regulatory risk given industry practice and standards, AgCountry CFG strategic and business objectives, legal and regulatory developments and availability and cost of internal and external legal resources. Aid AgCountry CFG staff in understanding and appropriately analyzing legal risk.
- Review and assist in the development of policies, procedures, projects and documentation. Develop and maintain processes to ensure that legal counterparty risk is appropriately managed and assessed.
- Prepare legal opinions and memoranda. Negotiate, draft and interpret contracts and other legal documents. Develop standardized business forms, processes and procedures. Work with the lending staff to ensure accuracy of legal forms, loan covenant language, inter-creditor agreements, participation agreements and associated documents.
- Monitor and promote regulatory compliance. Work with the staff to assure compliance with applicable statues and regulations and complete related documentation. Advise staff on matters relating to the Farm Credit Act and related regulations. Effectively resolve legal and regulatory issues confronting the association.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree and a law degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- 3 or more years of private practice or corporate legal experience.
- Significant background and experience in agricultural and commercial lending transactions, including syndications and other multi-lender transactions.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic understanding of agriculture and agricultural issues.