AgFirst Farm Credit Bank provides financing, as well as a range of technology and other services, to a network of agricultural lenders in the United States and Puerto Rico. Located on Main Street in Columbia, S.C., AgFirst is committed to providing a comfortable, inclusive work environment. We believe in investing in our employees so they can help lead our $35 billion company into the future. Do you share our passion for making an impact on the world? You may be a great fit for our AgFirst family.
The Underwriter III will be part of a critical team at AgFirst. The focus of this specialized, technically oriented position is on meeting and exceeding high standards of accuracy and quality based on established systems, technologies and guidelines. Strength in technical problem solving based on expertise and experience, and a strong commitment to efficiently achieve high quality results is required. A thoughtful, persevering, self-disciplined approach to achieving accurate, detailed work is essential. The job responsibilities and expectations are clearly defined, as is the scope of job authority.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for underwriting Rural Home and Part-time Farm/Residential loans according to program guidelines. Communicates underwriting procedures to program participants. Reviews and approves loan underwriting follow-up to clear loan conditions.
- Underwrites all mortgage loan applications according to policy, regulatory and secondary market standards (as needed) ensuring compliance and documentation requirements are met within service level expectations as stated by the Bank.
- Reviews and verifies the accuracy all loan requests for accurate processing and documentation including editing the application on the loan origination system (LOS), calculating appropriate ratios, reviewing the appraisal, title, credit reports, asset documentation, etc.
- Complete Underwriting Decision in the LOS in a manner that clearly and effectively communicate to the Association any issues related to the underwriting of the loan.
- Correspond with processors to attain outstanding documentation needed to complete requirements as stipulated in the Underwriting Decision.
- Accurately complete delegated underwriting for mortgage insurance and obtain MI certificates in a timely manner.
- Effectively communicate with Bank staff, Fannie Mae, Farmer Mac and mortgage insurers to clarify underwriting audit exceptions.
- Clearly communicate to sellers, both verbally and in writing, underwriting policies and procedures as they relate to Fannie Mae, Farmer Mac and AgFirst’s Correspondent Lending Department
Responsible for analyzing complex loan scenarios according to internal underwriting standards, investor guidelines, and federal regulations.
- Education and/or experience equivalent to an Associate Degree in Business or related field.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in front line retail or correspondent conventional residential mortgage underwriting.
- Thorough knowledge of Fannie Mae, Farmer Mac, and private mortgage insurance products, underwriting standards and guidelines.
- Working knowledge of industry standard mortgage origination, processing, and closing software.
- Specific knowledge of RESPA, TIL and Integrated Disclosure guidelines.
- Excellent follow-up, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in various computer software programs including Microsoft Office, database management and other business applications.
- Flexibility to handle constantly changing multiple priorities and work under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and actively engage with supervisor to resolve complicated issues.