WHO WE ARE
Golden State Farm Credit is a member owned cooperative and is part of the nationwide Farm Credit System, which has been providing dependable financing to the agricultural community and rural America for over 100 years. The Farm Credit System provides loans, leases, and related services to farmers, ranchers, rural homeowners, aquatic producers, timber harvesters, agribusinesses, and agricultural and rural utility cooperatives. Farm Credit is a cooperative with over 12,000 employees and over $300 billion in assets.
The board of Golden State Farm Credit is currently seeking a President and CEO to lead this vibrant organization into the future. Golden State Farm Credit places a high priority on improving business by building relationships both internally and externally and focusing on providing a knowledgeable staff that puts the interest of the member-owners first. Golden State Farm Credit is striving to fulfil its mission of Building relationships with rural America by providing exceptional Ag Financial Services through their values of Integrity, Respect, and Relationships:
- Integrity: Golden State provides a high level of INTEGRITY for internal and external customers by honoring FLEXIBILITY and STRUCTURE.
- Relationships: Golden State Farm Credit values cohesive RELATIONSHIPS by honoring TEAM and FAMILY.
- Respect: Golden State Farm Credit pledges & agrees to RESPECT their employees, members, and community by honoring VALIDATION and EMPOWERMENT.
The Federal Land Bank Association and Northern California Farm Credit merged January 1st, 2014 to become Golden State Farm Credit. Since the merger, the Association has enjoyed year over year growth, with over $1.60 billion in assets and over 1,400 shareholders. The Association supports its members with 80 employees, an administrative office, and five branches in Central and Northern California. The offices provide real estate, operating loans, equipment financing, and other agricultural services to eight counties surrounding our local offices located in Chico, Hanford, Kingsburg, Red Bluff and Willows, with Kingsburg being the corporate headquarters.
The President and CEO provides leadership for the Association by working with the Board of Directors and the Executive Leadership Team to develop goals, strategies, plans and policies. She / he directs and manages the Association’s resources and provides a clear sense of purpose for the employees. The CEO represents the Association in the community and establishes and maintains external collaborative relationships. The CEO will develop supervisory controls and present reports to the Association board and provide executive leadership and direction to the operating units consistent with safe and sound business practices; local board policies; compliant with the financing agreement with the funding bank (CoBank, ACB); FCA regulations; and federal, state and local laws. The CEO collaboratively sets the vision and mission with the Board, seeking input from staff across the Association, and champions related goals and initiatives. The CEO has responsibility for accomplishing Association goals and objectives, working collaboratively with the Executive Leadership Team, to serve their members by ‘Building relationships with rural America by providing exceptional Ag Financial Services.’
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Golden State Farm Credit is seeking a collaborative and experienced CEO with knowledge of innovative loan and lease products that meet the needs of agriculturalists in our core market areas to lead this vibrant organization. The ideal candidate will be a strategic visionary with the ability to think creatively and relate to internal and external stakeholders in an honest, open, and transparent manner.
The Association is looking for a positive change agent that embodies the Association values and is skilled at motivating, developing, and praising staff at various levels across the Association, yet can hold people accountable and make tough decisions when necessary. A commitment to creating a culture of teamwork, trust, and cooperation is essential to this position.
The successful incumbent must be someone who understands that, as a cooperative, our customers are also our owners. This individual will balance the Association’s need for growth with its desire to build and maintain personal relationships, a strength of the Association that sets them apart from many other lending institutions.
1. Strategic Leadership
Leads the process to incorporate the mission and vision throughout the Association
Leads the Executive Management Team and Senior Management team by:
- Leading the development of the corporate direction, long term and short-term strategies, and workforce and financial decisions
- Providing a highly independent and assertive leadership perspective
- Communicating the strategic direction and ensuring efforts align across the Association
- Complying with all regulatory and legal requirements
2. Leadership & Management
• Selects, trains, develops, motivates, sets performance standards, and evaluates staff within the department
• Continually communicates and reinforces expectations, Association updates, and business goals to staff members
• Determines work assignments, standard processes, and resource allocation to optimize staff efficiency
3. Board Governance and Relationship Management
• Recommends organizational strategy for approval by the Board of Directors
• Prepares and presents information to the Board of Directors
• Develops and enhances relationship with Board members
• Provides information and advice to the Board to maintain an effective and knowledgeable Board regarding all aspects of the Association
4. Business Leadership
• Cultivates deep relationships with customers and shareholders
• Maintains a professional presence and develops a network in rural America, the Farm Credit System, financial institutions and regulators
• As a member of Executive Loan team, oversees the approval of loans
• Reviews and approves financial recommendations from CFO as member of Asset Liability Committee
• Implement the strategies within the business plan to meet and/or exceed goals
5. Data Security and Confidentiality
• Appropriately protects the confidentiality, security, and integrity of the Association’s systems and data and clients’ data
6. Commitment and Support of Association Mission
• Understands, applies, and supports the Association mission and vision statement in a positive, professional manner at work and with customers in all settings
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
• Strong commitment and adherence to personal values that align with Golden State Farm Credit’s values, culture, and code of ethics.
• Expert skills in driving Association success by optimizing execution and displaying vision within the Association.
• Advanced knowledge and demonstrated experience in ag-lending, policy, scope and eligibility requirements.
• Expert skill in understanding the needs of all stakeholders, then developing, analyzing, and executing strategic plans.
• Expert knowledge of the agriculture, financial and real estate industry, and applied business principles.
• Expert knowledge of credit administration and portfolio management procedures.
• Expert skill in serving and working effectively with both external and internal customers in a professional, respectful manner.
• Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills to formulate logical and objective conclusions.
• Knowledge of financial and accounting principles, practices, methods, and operations.
• Expert knowledge of business and management principles in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, production methods, auditing principles and methods, and coordination of people and resources.
• Expert skill in identifying and organizing resources in a systematic way to prioritize fluctuating workloads, optimize efficiency, and ensure achievement of Association goals.
• Expert skill in selecting, managing, coaching, motivating, and developing the Executive Leadership team.
• Knowledge of applicable state and federal laws, regulations, and applicable tax for operation in California.
• Expert skill in providing guidance, advice, and information to staff to achieve organizational goals.
• Exert skill in negotiating, bringing others together, and reconciling differences.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, computers, current software, and other office tools.
• Ability to effectively read, write, and communicate in the English language.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• A Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business
• 10 years of banking and lending experience in a lending organization including executive level managerial responsibilities
• 8 years supervisory experience
*Other combinations of education and experience will be considered.
NOTE ON THE SELECTION PROCESS
The Board of Directors for Golden State Farm Credit will be working with FCC Services to manage the selection process. Leading the process is Jay Lux, Vice President of Organizational Effectiveness Consulting at FCC Services.
FINAL DATE FOR APPLICATION: January 30, 2019
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
If you have any questions, please contact Jay Lux, FCC Services, at 651.982.4568 or firstname.lastname@example.org